Vaishakha is the 2nd month of Hindu Year. According to spiritual beliefs, Treta Era (Yuga) began from this month. This increases the spiritual significance of Vaishakha Amavasya tenfold. Performing spiritual activities, charity and bathing, Pitru Tarpan is consider highly favorable on this day. Astrological remedy is also performing on this Amavasya to get free from Kaal Sarp Dosha. On the same day, Shani Jayanti is celebrated in South India.
Vaishakha Amavasya Vrat and Puja Vidhi
A person should fast on every Amavasya for the liberation of his/her ancestors. Pooja Vidhi for Vaishakha Amavasya is as follows:
- Take a bath in a holy river, lake or pond in the morning. Offer Argh to the Sun God, and put sesame seeds in the flowing water.
- Fast, offer oblation to your ancestors and donate things to the poor, so that, your forefathers could attain peace and liberation.
- As Shani Jayanti is also celebrated on this day, therefore, pray Lord Shani by offering Sesame seeds, flowers and oil to the God.
- On this day, offer water to the Peepal tree in the morning and light lamp in the evening.
- Feed and charity grains and clothes to the needy or Brahmin as per your heart’s desire.
Story of Vaishakha Amavasya
In spiritual scriptures, there is a story related to Vaishakha Amavasya. According to it, in pristine days, there was a Brahmin named Dharmvarna. He was a very spiritual person and valued hermits very well. Once he heard from a Saint that nothing is more holy and rewarding in Kalyuga than ruminating the name of Lord Vishnu. He assimilates this knowledge, abandoned cosmic life and took Sannyas, and started travelling. One day while travelling, he reached Pitru Loka. There, the forefather’s of Dharmvarna were in lot of troubles. They told him, our situation is due to your rejection (Sannyas). Now there is no one to offer Pind Daan to us. But if you go back and start your family life, and increase descendant, then we can be relieved. Also, offer Pind Daan to us ritually on the day of Vaishakha Amavasya. Dharmvarna promised them that he will absolutely fulfill their wishes. So, he once again embraces the worldly life. On the day of Vaishakha Amavasya, he performs all the rituals for Pind Daan and thus, liberated his ancestors.