Ekadashi on Shukla Paksha of Shravana Masa is known as Shravana Putrada Ekadashi. According to Hindu spiritual beliefs, the person fasting for this Ekadashi reaps fruit equivalent to Vajpayee Yagya. Additionally with the good virtue of this fast, devotees receive blessings for progeny.
Shravana Putrada Ekadashi Vrat and Puja Vidhi
- Take a bathing early morning before sunrise and wear clean clothes.
- Light a ghee lamp (Diya) in front of the statue of Lord Vishnu.
- Use seasonal fruits, Basil and sesame seeds (Til) for worshipping God.
- Fast on the day of Ekadashi. After worshipping God in the evening, you can consume fruits.
- One gets special blessing from Lord Vishnu by reading Vishnu Sahasranama.
- Doing Jagrans and bhajan kirtans on Ekadashi night is of great significance.
- Next day on Dwadashi, offer food and donation to Brahmin.
- Lastly consume your own meal.
Significance of Shravana Putrada Ekadashi Vrat
In Hindu belief, Ekadashi is considering a very significant day and Shravana Putrada Ekadashi is one of them. It is assumed that if a childless couple fast devotedly on this day; following the whole process properly, then they definitely get blessed with a child. Apart from this, all sins of a human end by fasting for this Ekadashi and she/he attains salvation in afterlife.
Shravana Putrada Ekadashi Vrat Katha
According to Shri Padma Purana in Dwapara Yuga, the king of Mahishmati Puri named Mahijeet was a peaceful and spiritual person, but deprived of a son. His well-wishers told this to Mahamuni Lomesh, who then told that the King was a Brutal and penniless merchant (Vaishya) in his past life. On the same Ekadashi day at noon, he became very thirsty and arrive a pond where a cow, thirsty due to scorching heat, was drinking water. He stopped her and he drank the water. This act by the king was not right according to the religion.
Because of his good deeds in the past life he became a king in this life, but because of that one sin he is still childless. Then, Mahamuni told that if all his well-wishers fasted for Shravana Putrada Ekadashi, following whole process properly, and offer its beneficence to the king, then he will surely get blessed with a child. Thus, as per his instructions, the King also performs this fast along with his people, and as a result, his queen gave birth to a glorious son. Since then, this Ekadashi has been called Shravana Putrada Ekadashi.