Amavasya in the Krishna Paksha of Phalguna month is known as Phalguna Amavasya. This Amavasya is most advantageous for reach joy, property and good affluence. Therefore, people fast on this day for their positive growth and affluence. On the same day, sacrifice (Tarpan or Shraadh) to the ancestors is also performed. If this Amavasya falls on days like Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday, it give results more than that of Solar Eclipse (Surya Grahan).
Phalguna Amavasya Vrat and Religious Rituals
As per virtuous beliefs, fast and activities performed on Phalguna Amavasya offer instant results. It also includes oblation for ancestral peace, which is of great importance.
The religious rituals performed on this day are as follows:
- Take a bath in a holy river, lake or pond in the morning. Offer Argh to the Sun God, and then offer tarpan to ancestors.
- On this day, do fast and donate things to the poor, for the peaceful afterlife of your ancestors.
- Light a mustard oil Diya under the Peepal tree in the evening. Take seven rounds of the tree while remembering your forefathers.
- Worship Rudra (God Shiva), fire (Agni) and Brahmins, and offer them Urad Daal, Curd and Puri as Naivedyam. Eat the same Prasad yourself as well, on this day.
- Go to a Shiv temple and perform Abhishek of Lord Shiva from raw cow milk, curd and honey, and also presents black Sesame seeds to the God.
- Amavasya is also considered as the day of Lord Shani. So, worship the God on this Amavasya by offering blue flowers in Shani temple. Also, offer black sesame seeds, black Urad (whole), mustard oil, Kajal and black clothes.
Importance of Phalguna Amavasya
As per religious beliefs, God and Goddesses inhabit in holy rivers on the day of Phalguna Amavasya. Therefore, bathing in rivers like Ganga, Yamuna and Saraswati on this day is of prime importance. If this Amavasya falls on Monday, it also creates Yoga for Maha Kumbh Snan, which is highly fruitful.