Vamana Avatar of God Vishnu is worshipped on the day of Parivartini Ekadashi. As Shri Vishnu curvature while sleeping on this day, so it is called as Parivartini Ekadashi. It is also known by the name of Padma Ekadashi. Humans who worship Vamana Avatar of God Vishnu on this day reap fruits equivalent to Vajpayee Yagya, and all their sins get destroyed as well. People also do Lakshmi Pooja on this day as it is consider a great occasion to please Goddess Lakshmi.
Parivartini Ekadashi Vrat Puja Vidhi
Parivartini Ekadashi Vrat and Pooja are equal to worshipping Brahma, Vishnu and all the three worlds. Pooja Vidhi of this fast is as follows:
- Human fasting for this Ekadashi must not take consumes a day before on Dashami after sunset. At night, they should nominate the name of Lord Vishnu while sleeping.
- On Ekadashi day, wake up early in the morning and muse God’s name. After taking a bathing vow for the fast. Then, light a Ghee lamp in front of the bronze of God Vishnu.
- Use Basil leaves, seasonal fruits and Sesame Seeds for worshipping God Vishnu. One must not consume food on this day, but can get fruits in the evening after worshipping God.
- Avoid criticizing and laying others on the day of fast. Other than that, donate Copper vessels, Curd and Rice.
- Next day on Dwadashi, open your fast after sunrise and offer food and donation to the needy persons or Brahmin.
Parivartini Ekadashi Vrat Katha
During Mahabharata period, Lord Shri Krishna narrated the significance of Parivartini Ekadashi Vrat when asked by Arjuna, the son of Pandu. He said- “O Arjuna! Listen attentively the story of the destroyer of all sins, i.e. Parivartini Ekadashi.
During Treta Yuga, there was a demon named Bali who was very charitable, truthful and serve Brahmin kindly. He often performs penance, Yagya, etc. His devotion was so strong that he replaced Devraj Indra and began to rule in heaven. Afraid of him, Devraj and other Devas went to God Vishnu and requested him to help them. Then, he embodied as Vamana, a Brahmin boy, and defeated King Bali.
Lord Shri Krishna said- “Taking Vamana Avatar I requested him - O Rajan! If you offer land equal to 3 steps to me, you will get reward of the donations offered for three worlds. King Bali agreed to my request. Just as he vowed for gift, I took a massive form and covered Earth with one leg in first step, heaven with ankle and Brahmaloka with toes of the other leg in next step. But for the third step, the King had nothing else to offer. So, he offered his head and I, as Lord Vamana, put my leg over his head as third step. Pleased with his commitment and devotion and, Lord Vamana made him the king of Patal Loka.
I said to King Bali - I will always be with you.”
That is why, on the day of Parivartini Ekadashi, one of my form remains with King Bali and the other sleep on Sheshnag in depths of Kshirsagar.” So, on this Ekadashi, God Vishnu turns while sleeping.