Purnima in Shukla Paksha of Margashirsha month is called Margashirsha Poornima. It is also known as Battisi Poornima. According to Hindu faith, it is the month for do charity, spiritual activities and worshipping the Gods and Goddesses. In Shrimad Bhagwat Gita, Lord Krishna himself has said, I am the favorable month of Margashirsha among months. It is also believed that Satyuga Era began from this month. Bathing, charity and penance (Tapasya) perform on this day is highly satisfying. On this day of Purnima, thousands of devotees bathes and do penance (Tapasya) in holy rivers of Banaras, Haridwar, Mathura and Prayagraj.
Margashirsha Purnima Vrat Puja Vidhi
By fasting and worshipping the Gods and Goddesses on this Purnima, a person is blessed with happiness and affluence. Following are the Vrat rituals that one should do while fasting on Margashirsha Purnima:
- On this day it is the rule to worship Lord Nirayana. Therefore, at early morning of this Purnima, muse the name of the God and vow for the fast.
- After bathing, wear white clothes and do Achaman (process of refinement of a person before Pooja). Then, Call (Avahan) to Lord Vishnu by sitting (Asana) and chanting ‘ऊँ नमोः नारायण’. Also offer flowers and perfume to the God.
- Make an altar (Vedi) at the place of worship (Puja Sthal) and light fire in it for Havan. Then, offer (Ahuti) oil, Ghee, Bura, etc to Agni.
- After finish of Havan, devotedly complete your fast while ruminating the name of Lord Vishnu.
- Sleep near the idol of Lord Nirayana in the night.
- Next day, feed the needy or Brahmins and contribution (Dan-Dakshina) to them.
Spiritual significance of Margashirsha Purnima
As per spiritual beliefs, by applying the soil (Mitti) of Basil roots (Tulsi) on your body and then, bathing in a sacred river, lake or pond; a person is blessed by Lord Vishnu. Contribution on this day offers result which is 32 times more rewarding than the results of other Poornima. This is the reason why, it is also called as Battisi Purnima. On this favorable occasion, worshipping God Satyanarayana as well as listening to Satyanarayana Katha are also perform and are highly satisfying. After Katha, donating things and offering food to Brahmins or poor on Margashirsha Purnima, also pleases God Vishnu.