According to Hindu calendar, Margashirsha Amavasya comes in Krishna Paksha of Margashirsha month. It is also known by the name of Agahan Amavasya. On this day, people do Pitru Tarpan, bathing, charity and contribution for the peaceful afterlife of their elders. Worshipping God Vishnu and Goddess Lakshmi is also considered favorable on this day.
Margashirsha Amavasya Vrat Puja Vidhi
Margashirsha Amavasya is considering highly important as Pitru Pooja perform on this day offer liberal results to both the Vratee (person who fasted) and his/her relations. Following Vrat Pooja Vidhi should be followed by the person fasting on this day:
- Take a bath in a holy river, lake or pond in the morning. Immerse sesame seeds (Til) in the flowing water, chant Gayatri Mantra or ruminate the name of Lord Narayan, then offer Argh to the Sun God.
- Worship God Shiva or God Vishnu as per family tradition.
- Offer oblation to ancestors (Pitru Puja) on the bank of a sacred river, for their peaceful afterlife or Moksha Prapti (liberation).
- One should not drink water while do the fast of Margashirsha Amavasya.
- Later, donate things like food, clothes, cereals, sandals, etc to the needy or Brahmin.
People fast and perform spiritual activities to seek blessings of their ancestors and ward off the unfavorable things in their lives. Other than this, many people organize Shri Satyanarayana Pooja on this day. The idol or picture of Lord Vishnu is installing in the Pooja Esthal along with the idol of Goddess Lakshmi. The family members worship the deities as per Pooja Vidhi and offer Milk Porridge to them. Later, Pooja is finished by reading Satyanarayana Katha and offering Prasad to the devotees.
Importance of Margashirsha Amavasya
Like every Amavasya, Pitru Pooja is also performing on Margashirsha Amavasya. However, the spiritual activities perform on this day are considered highly favorable and offer pious rewards to the devotees and their forefathers. Tila Tarpan and Pind Daan help one’s forefathers attain liberation and peace in the afterlife. Also, fasting on Margashirsha Amavasya removes all the sins and brings peace and affluence in the life of the devotees.