Poornima in Shukla Paksha of Kartik month is called Kartik Purnima. On this day, Lord Shiva killed the demon, Tripurasura, therefore this Poornima is also known as Tripuri Poornima. If Krittika Nakshatra falls on this day, it is called Mahakartiki. If it is Bharani Nakshatra, then a person is satisfied with favorable results. And if it is Rohini Nakshatra on this day, the significance of Kartik Purnima increases tenfold.
It is assumed that Lord Vishnu took Matsya Avatar on the eve of Kartik Poornima. Lighting lamps and donate things after Ganga Snan (bathing in Ganga River) on this day, give results equivalent to the results of 10 Yagyas. Kartik Purnima has also been called a very favorable festival by the Gods (Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva, Angira and Aaditya).
Kartik Purnima Vrat Rituals
Ganga Snan, lighting lamps (Deep Daan), Hom (Aahuti), Yagya and worshipping Gods during Kartik Purnima hold great importance. The rituals that are performing on this day are as follows:
- Wake up in the morning and vow for the fast. Take a bath in a holy river, lake or pond.
- One must worship the 6 creations named Shiva, Priti, Anusuiya, Santati and Kshama during moonrise.
- By fasting and donate a bull in the night of Kartik Purnima, one attains Shiv Pada.
- By donating a cow or an elephant, a horse, a chariot (Ratha) or Ghee on this day rewards a person with increased assets.
- Donation of a sheep results in lessening the unfavorable effects of Yogas through planetary alignments.
- From Kartik Poornima onwards, if a person fasts for every Purnima and sing religious songs (Jagrans) during that night, his/her all wishes comes true.
- Devotee performing the fast of this Purnima must do the Havan and feed the needy and poor people on this day.
- A person should conclude the fast by bathing (Kartik Snan) in Yamuna river and then, lighting the lamps (Deep Daan) while worshipping Radha-Krishna.
Significance of Kartik Purnima
Purnima in the month of Kartik is considering among the most pious Poornima in a year. Gift and charity deeds perform on this day offer honest results. On Kartik Purnima, if Moon is in Krittika Nakshatra and Sun in Vishaka Nakshatra, it creates Padmak Yoga which is very rare. And if it is Moon and Jupiter in Krittika Nakshatra on this day, the Purnima is called Maha Purnima. By celebrating Tripura Utsava and lighting lamps (Deep Daan) in the evening of Kartik Purnima, the pains and suffering of previous life end.
Story of Kartik Purnima
In ancient time, there was a demon named Tripura. He performs very difficult penance (Ghor Tapasya) in Prayagraj for one lakh years. Seeing his devotion, all living creatures and deities (Devta) got scared. So, Devtas sent nymphs (Apsara) to rupture his Tapasya, but it was useless. Pleased with the tenacity (Tapasya) of Tripurasura, Lord Brahma appears before him and asked him to make a wish.
Tripurasura wished, I should neither be killed by a deity nor a human. Brahma ji granted him the wish, after which, the demon got fearless and began to torment everyone. Not only had that, but he even gone to Kailash to conquer it. There he had a battle with God Shiva, and in the end, the God killed him with the help from God Brahma and God Vishnu.