Hartalika Teej Vrat is one of the primary Vrats in Hindu faith. Hartalika Teej is celebrated on the 3rd day of Shukla Paksha in the month of Bhadrapada. Actually, worshiping God Shiva and Goddess Parvati holds a lot of believe in the Hast Nakshatra of the 3rd day of Shukla Paksha in the Bhadrapada month. Hartalika Teej is observed by single girls and married women both. Moreover, widows can also observe this Vrat. Hartalika Teej Vrat is kept without the intake of water and grains. It is believed that in order to have God Shiva as her husband, Goddess Parvati was the 1st one to do this Vrat. Undertaking Hartalika Teej Vrat enables women with marital pleasure and happiness.
Rules of Hartalika Teej Vrat
- There should be no drinking of water during Hartalika Teej Vrat. One can have water the next day after the Vrat.
- Once the Hartalika Teej Vrat is done by a person, it cannot be left undone. It should be perform with proper rituals and rites.
- On the day of Hartalika Teej Vrat, one should stay awake at night and celebrate while singing spiritual hymns in groups.
- Hartalika Teej Vrat is observed by married women and unmarried girls. According to the scriptures, widows can also undertake this Vrat.
Hartalika Teej Vrat Puja Vidhi
On the religious occasion of Hartalika Teej Vrat, God Shiva and Goddess Parvati are reverenced and worshiped. Steps of Pooja Vidhi are as follows:
- Hartalika Teej is done in the Pradosh Kaal. Pradosh Kaal is described to as the three Muhurats after the sun-set. It signifies the time when day and night coincide.
- Handmade idols of God Shiva, Goddess Parvati and God Ganesha should be made from sand and black soil.
- Decorate the worship place with different flowers and place an altar there. After keeping banana leaves on the altar, establish the idols of God Shiva, Goddess Parvati and God Ganesha.
- Inviting all the deity, you need to start the Shodashopchar Puja of Lord Shiva, Goddess Parvati and Lord Shiva.
- Offering favorable symbols of married women set in a holy enclosure to Goddess Durga is the most important tradition of this Pooja.
- In this Pooja, traditional attire of men (dhoti and angocha) is offered to Lord Shiva. All these holy symbols of marriage should be donated to Brahmins after seeking the blessings of mother-in-law.
- After the Pooja, listen to sacred stories and vigils should be perform at night. The next morning, after the Aarti, offer vermilion and cucumber sugary to Goddess Parvati and then conclude your fast.
Spiritual importance of Hartalika Teej
Hartalika Teej festival is dedicated to the reunion of God Shiva and Goddess Parvati. According to a religious fact, Goddess Parvati performs penance in order to have Lord Shiva as her husband. Along the banks of the river Ganga on Himalayas, Goddess Parvati performs severe penance. Even her father Himalaya became downhearted on witnessing such condition of the Goddess. One day, on behalf of Lord Vishnu, Maharishi Narad came with a proposal of marriage. But when Goddess Parvati came to know about it, then she started to mourn. She told her female companion that in order to have Lord Shiva as her husband she is performing this penance. After this, on the advice of her companion, Goddess Parvati went to the forest and she immersed herself in the worship of Lord Shiva. During this time, in the Hasta Nakshatra of the 3rd day of Shukla Paksha in Bhadrapada month, Goddess Parvati made a Shivalinga from sand and after that she drenched herself in worshiping Lord Shiva. On witnessing the severe penance of Goddess Parvati, Lord Shiva came before her in his divine manifestation and accepted Goddess Parvati as his wife.
From then only, Hartalika Teej Vrat is observed by unmarried girls and married women for a good husband and well being of their husband respectively. Thus, through this Vrat, they also seek the blessings of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati by worshiping them.
We wish all our readers a very happy Hartalika Teej Vrat. We sincerely hope that you will be blessed with the grace of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati.