The festival of grandiose, Navratri always begins with the ritual of Ghatasthapana. The 1st day of Sharad Navratri commemorates the invocation of the Goddess Shakti. The Adishakti blesses her devotees on the very 1st day as we do the Poojan of Ghatasthapana. An exact Muhurat is chosen for the Kalash Sthapna by abiding by the rules designed for it.
Ghatasthapana Muhurat Rules
To calculate the Ghatasthapana, one must follow the below mentioned rules:
- The Kalash Sthapna would happen on the same day, even if there is only one Muhurat that is coming under the Pratipada after sunrise.
- The Amayukta Pratipada, i.e. the Pratipada that is prevalent on the day of the Amavasya will be considered the 1st day in case the Pratipada after the sunrise is for less than one minute or is not happening on any day.
- The Sharad Navaratri must not be famous on Amayukta Pratipada in any other case than the one mentioned above.
- In case the Pratipada goes on for Two sunrises, the first one would be the only one consider. The 2nd day would not be counted in this case.
- Amayukta Pratipada must be avoided if you want to honor Goddess Chandika on the 1st day of Sharad Navratri. In the mentioned situation, you can consider the Pratipada of Dwitiya.
Muhurat rules for Ghatsthapana on Sharad Navratri
- The first one - third part of the day is the best time period to beginning with the Ghatsthapana.
- Abhijit Muhurat is the best time to start Kalash Sthapna.
- If the Vaidhritti Yoga is prevalent, the Ghatsthapana must be delayed for a bit during the Sharad Navaratri. However, there is no prohibition on this time frame.
- Another rule that must be followed is that the Ghatsthapana must be done before mid - day, with congruence to the Hindu daytime.
- During the Pratipada of the Sharad Navratri, the Dwi-Swabhava Lagan Meen prevails in the morning; this is also an favorable time for Poojan.
- Nakshatras that could be consider for the Ghatsthapana on Sharad Navratri are Moola, Shravan, Danistha, Ashwani, Uttarabhadrapada, Rohini, Uttarashada, Punarvasu, Hasta, Pushya, Revati, and Uttara Phalguni.
Note: After 16 Ghatis from the Sunrise, i.e. after the mid of the Hindu day, the Ghatasthapana mustn’t be perform.
Things Required For Kalash Sthapna
The following things must be used while performing the Ghatasthapana:
- A broad Earthen Pot
- Garden soil
- Red Cloth
- A kalash
- 7 types of grains
- Betel Nuts
- 5 leaves from the Ashoka or Mango tree.
- Marigold flowers and garland
- Coconut with its husk intact
- Gangajal (normal water could also be used for this)
- Unbroken rice grains
How to Perform Ghatasthapana
- In a broad earthen pot, sow seven grains in the garden soil.
- Add adequate water to it.
- Fill the Kalash with water, and tie the Mauli around it.
- Hide the coconut with intact husk in red cloth and tie a Mauli around it.
- Next, put the wrapped coconut on the Kalash, as well as the mango leaves at the mouth of the Kalash.
- The process of Ghatasthapana invokes the Goddess into it as the prayers begin.
Mantra recitation for the people who observe fast for Nine days:
ॐ विष्णुः विष्णुः विष्णुः, अद्य ब्राह्मणो वयसः परार्धे श्रीश्वेतवाराहकल्पे जम्बूद्वीपे भारतवर्षे, अमुकनामसम्वत्सरे आश्विनशुक्लप्रतिपदे अमुकवासरे प्रारभमाणे नवरात्रपर्वणि एतासु नवतिथिषु अखिलपापक्षयपूर्वक-श्रुति-स्मृत्युक्त-पुण्यसमवेत-सर्वसुखोपलब्धये संयमादिनियमान् दृढ़ं पालयन् अमुकगोत्रः अमुकनामाहं भगवत्याः दुर्गायाः प्रसादाय व्रतं विधास्ये।
Above mentioned mantra holds major significance on each day of the Sharad Navratri.
The Mantra contains numerous words which require modification, depending on your name, the name of the day, and the name of your Gotra.
They are mentioned below-
- The word that must Correction first is the word अमुक. The first word with Amuk is अमुकनामसम्वत्सरे. In this you’ll have to alter it as per the name of the Samvatsara.
- Next comes the name of the Gotra. In अमुकगोत्रः, you are supposed to say the name of your Gotra.
- In case of अमुकनामाहं, you are supposed to say your name.
- Similarly, in अमुकवासरे, the अमुक will be replaced with the name of the day.
- In case you observe the fast for 1, 2, or 3 days, Days, the Mantra will be changed a bit. On the day of the fast, the Mantra will be recited with the name of the Tithi instead of एतासु नवतिथिषु.
- For example, Mantra for observing a fast on the 7th day will be recited as below:
ॐ विष्णुः विष्णुः विष्णुः, अद्य ब्राह्मणो वयसः परार्धे श्रीश्वेतवाराहकल्पे जम्बूद्वीपे भारतवर्षे, अमुकनामसम्वत्सरे आश्विनशुक्लप्रतिपदे अमुकवासरे प्रारभमाणे नवरात्रपर्वणि सप्तम्यां तिथौ अखिलपापक्षयपूर्वक-श्रुति-स्मृत्युक्त-पुण्यसमवेत-सर्वसुखोपलब्धये संयमादिनियमान् दृढ़ं पालयन्अ मुकगोत्रः अमुकनामाहं भगवत्याः दुर्गायाः प्रसादाय व्रतं विधास्ये।
For the 8th day of Sharad Navratri, सप्तम्यां has to be correction into अष्टम्यां. Similarly, words need to be changed in accordance to the days that the mantra is being chanted on.
Shodashopchar Puja Sankalp
While performing the Shodashopchar Pooja during the Sharad Navaratri, the below mantra must be chanted everyday:
ॐ विष्णुः विष्णुः विष्णुः, अद्य ब्राह्मणो वयसः परार्धे श्रीश्वेतवाराहकल्पे जम्बूद्वीपे भारतवर्षे, अमुकनामसम्वत्सरे आश्विनशुक्लप्रतिपदे अमुकवासरे नवरात्रपर्वणि अखिलपापक्षयपूर्वकश्रुति-स्मृत्युक्त-पुण्यसमवेत-सर्वसुखोपलब्धये अमुकगोत्रः अमुकनामाहं भगवत्याः दुर्गायाः षोडशोपचार-पूजनं विधास्ये।
Utilize this knowledge to the bits and make the Ghatasthapana on Sharad Navratri the perfect milestone to impress Adishakti!