According to Hindu calendar, Amavasya in the Krishna Paksha of Chaitra month is known as Chaitra Amavasya. It is of great significance in Hindu religious conviction. On this day, bathing, charity, donation, and other spiritual activities are performed. Like every Amavasya, Pitru Tarpan is also featured on this day.
Chaitra Amavasya Vrat and Religious Rituals
Various spiritual activities are performed while fasting on Chaitra Amavasya. It is also assumed that one should fast on this day for the deliverance of his/her ancestors.
The rituals performed on this day are as follows:
- Take a bath in a holy river, lake or pond in the early morning. Offer Argh to the Sun God, then offer oblation to ancestors.
- Fast and offer things to the poor, for the peaceful afterlife of your elders.
- Donate food, cow, gold and clothes as per your heart’s wishes.
- After Pitru Tarpan or Shraadh, feed the poor or Brahmin.
- On this Amavasya, light a mustard oil lamp under the Peepal tree. Offer blue flowers, black sesame seeds and mustard oil to Lord Shani.
Importance of Chaitra Amavasya
Various spiritual activities are performing on Chaitra Amavasya, including Pitru Tarpan for liberation of elders. The fast on this day not only offer family salvation and peace, but also offer highly satisfying results to the person performing the fast.