According to Hindu calendar, Purnima in the month of Bhadrapada is known as Bhadrapada Purnima. This Purnima is of great significance in Hindu faith. On this day, Satyanarayana form (Swaroop) of Lord Vishnu is worshipped. On the same day, fast of Uma-Maheshwar is also performing. The day is also of great importance because on the same day Pitru Paksha, popularly known as Shraddha, commences that ends on Ashwin Amavasya.
Bhadrapada Purnima Vrat Puja Vidhi
As per spiritual beliefs, by worshipping Lord Satyanarayana on Bhadrapada Poornima, the pains and suffering of a person ends and their life are filled with happiness and affluence. The Pooja Vidhi of this Vrat is as follows:
- Wake up in the early morning and vow for the fast. Take a bathing in a holy river, pond or lake.
- Worship Lord Satyanarayana ritually and offer Naivedyam as well as flowers and fruits to the God.
- Listen to Satyanarayana Katha and then later, distribute Churma and Panchamrit (Prasad).
- Donate food and things to the needy persons or Brahmin.
According to Bhavishya Purana, Uma-Maheshwar Vrat is doing on the 3rd day (Tritiya) in Shukla Paksha of Margashirsha month. But as per Narada Purana, the fast is performing on Purnima of Bhadrapada. Uma-Maheshwar Vrat is very significant for women. With its effect, they are blessed with bright children and good fortune.
Following is the Pooja Vidhi for this fast:
- Establish Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati idol on the place of worship (Puja Sthan) while devise their name.
- Ruminate and worship the Ardh Bhagwati form of Lord Shiva and Mata Parvati and offer incense, lamp (Diya), perfume, flower and food mixed with pure Ghee to them.
Uma-Maheshwar Vrat Katha
Uma-Maheshwar Vrat is described in Matsya Purana. According to the mentioning’s, one time Maharishi Durvasa was returning after visit (Darshan) Lord Shankara. On his way, he met God Vishnu. He gave Bael leaves (Bilva Patra) garland given by Lord Shiva to Lord Vishnu. Instead of wearing it himself, Vishnu ji put it on the neck of Garuda. Seeing this, Maharishi Durvasa got angry and cursed him you have insulted Lord Shiva. So, Lakshmi ji will go gone from you. You will have to leave Kshirsagar and even Sheshnag will not be able to help you. Listening to this, Lord Vishnu respectfully asked him the solution to get free from the curse. Maharishi told him to perform the fast of Uma-Maheshwar, and then only he will get all the things. So, God Vishnu perform this fast and with its effect, he got everything back including Lakshmi ji.