Ashwin Amavasya falls in Krishna Paksha of Ashwin month. It is commonly known as Sarva Pitru Amavasya or Mahalaya Amavasya. It is also known by the name of Pitra Visarjani Amavasya. This Amavasya is of great importance as performing Pitru rites and rituals on this day help ancestors attain peace and liberation. In other words, on this day Shraadh Paksha is concluded and all forefathers return to Pitru Loka after blessing their sons, grandsons and family members. One should also do charity and contribution as well as feed Brahmins on this favorable day.
Ashwin Amavasya Vrat and Puja Vidhi
Pitru Poojan holds great importance on Ashwin Amavasya as all the rituals related to Shraadh Paksha are concluded on this day. The rituals that are performing on this favorable occasion are as follows:
- Take a bathing in a holy river, lake or pond in the morning. Offer Argh to the Sun God, and oblation to your ancestors.
- In the evening, light a lamp (Deepak) and place it on the main entrance, along with Pori and other sweet stuff. This should be done so that your ancestors do not go on unfilled stomach and the lamp will show them the way to Pitru Loka.
- If you do not know the day or date to do Shraadh of your ancestors, you can do so on the occasion of Ashwin Amavasya.
- Also, if you haven’t been able to offer oblation (Pitru Tarpan) to your forefather in entire Shraadh Paksha, you can do so on this favorable day.
- One should also feed the needy or Brahmin on this day for the peaceful afterlife of his/her ancestors.
Significance of Ashwin Amavasya
Ashwin Amavasya is of great importance for ancestral peace and therefore, is also known as Sarva Pitru Amavasya or Mahalaya Amavasya. This Amavasya is also of high significance from Tantriks point of view, alongside Shraadh Karma. From the next day of Ashwin Amavasya, Shardiya Navratri begins. Worshippers of Maa Durga and her nine forms as well as person practicing Tantra Sadhna, do various Tantric rituals on the night of this Amavasya.