Akshaya Tritiya, which is also known as Akha Teej, is celebrated on Vaishakh Shukla Tritiya (the 3rd Hindu date of the bright half of the Hindu month Vaishakh). It is a main festival for the people of Sanatana Dharma.
On this day, contributions, sacred bath, Yajna, Japa, etc. give wonderful results. Akshaya Tritiya is a Sanskrit term. Akshaya means something which cannot be damaged and Tritiya is the 3rd date in the Hindu month.
Akshaya Tritiya Muhurat
- Akshaya Tritiya is celebrated on the day when Tritiya Tithi of the bright half of Vaishakh is prevailing during the Purvahan Kaal.
- If Tritiya is covering the Purvahan of two consecutive days, 2nd day will be considered as the event. However, some people believe that it can only be celebrated on the second in one condition i.e. Tritiya Tithi must prevail for more than three Muhurats of that day.
- If Akshaya Tritiya occurs on Monday or Wednesday along with Rohini Nakshatra, its auspiciousness increases immensely.
Akshaya Tritiya Vrat & Pujan Vidhi
Akshaya Tritiya Pooja is not that a hard thing to do. Follow the methods given below and do Akshaya Tritiya Pooja at home:
- The one who comply fast on this day must get prepared wearing yellow clothes early in the morning.
- Now, at house, bathe the Vishnu’s idol in Gangajal and offer yellow flower garland, Tulsi or just yellow flowers.
- After that, light incense and Ghee wicks lamp, and settle on a yellow seat.
- Ahead, recite texts related to Vishnu like Vishnu Sahasranama, Vishnu Chalisa.
- At the finish, sing the Aarti of Vishnu Ji.
- Along with this, if the worshipper can make contributions or offer food to the needy people, it will give great results.
Note: If it is hard to keep the full day fast, one may take yellow banana, Halwa, or yellow sweet rice.
As per the ancient legends, Parashuram, Nar-Narayan, and Hayagreeva had embodied on this day. That is why some people offer barley or Sattu of wheat, soft Kakadi (a type of cucumber), and soaked Chana Daal (gram pulses) to these Gods.
Akshaya Tritiya Legend
As per the Puranas, Yudhishthira had expressed it to Lord Krishna that he wants to know the importance of the Akshaya Tritiya. Hence, Krishna told him that it is a very favorable day. On this day, those who bathe before the midday and do Tapa, Japa, Yajna, Homam, study of scriptures, Pitru-Tarpan, donations, etc. receive tremendous favorable results.
In pristine times, there was a poor and righteous man, who had faith in the Gods. Being poverty-stricken, he used to stay very troubled. Somebody recommended him about Akshaya Tritiya Vrat. Hence, he perform this fast very ritualistically like waking up early in the morning, bathing in Ganga River, worshipping the Gods, and giving donations. This man became the King of Kushavati in next birth. Thanks to the effects of those Atchaya Tritiya rituals, he became quite mighty and rich.
Akshaya Tritiya significance
- Akha Teej is one among those days that are consider as Sadhe 10 Shubh Muhurat (3 and a half fortunate days) of the year. On this day, one may do many positive things.
- Bathing in Ganga also has special importance on this day. One who performs Ganga Snan on this day gets rid of all the negativities or bad effects.
- Also, one may do Pitru Shraadh on this day. Curd-rice, Barley, grams, wheat, Sattu, things made of milk, etc. must be donated in the name of forefathers and after that, a Pandit (Hindu priest) must be offered food.
- It is believed to be quite favorable if you do Shraadh of your forefathers at a spiritual place on this day.
- Some people also believe that it is favorable to buy gold on this day.
- On this day only, Hayagreeva and Parashuram had embodied.
- Treta Yuga has also begun on the very same day.
- The doors of Shri Badrinath Temple open on this day.
Due to all these reasons, this festival is considered quite favorable and fruitful. We hope that this little piece of information’s will help you make the best out of this festival.