Amalakya and Amalaki Ekadashi are celebrated to praise the grandeur of Lord Vishnu. Amalaki means Amla, which is describe as a best ingredient in both Hinduism and Ayurveda. According to Padma Purana, Amla tree is very beloved to Lord Vishnu and known to be a dwelling of Sri Hari and Goddess Laxmi. Being the abode of Lord Vishnu, the idol is veneration right below the tree, which is why it is called ostensibly. On this day, make a scrub paste of Amla, bathe with its water, do Amla Poojan, consume it and offer.
Amalaki Ekadashi Vrat & Puja Vidhi
Amla holds of a special significance on Amalaki Ekadashi. On this day, Amla is used in every type, from worship to food.
Amalaki Ekadashi pooja rituals are as follows:
- On this day, wake up early morning, resolution for fasting and remember Lord Vishnu.
- After taking a resolution, take a sacred bath and worship the lord. Light up a Diya with ghee or purify butter and recite Vishnu Sahasranama.
- Establish an urn with Navratna under an Amla tree after the pooja. In case Amla tree isn’t available, you can offer Amla to Lord Vishnu as a sacrament (Prasad).
- Worship Amla tree with incense sticks, Diya, sandalwood, vermillion, flowers, rice etc. and feed the hungry people or Brahmin.
- On the next day, i.e. 12th day, take a bath, worship Lord Vishnu and offer that urn, clothes and Amla to a straitened person. After that, consume food and open your fast.
Importance of Amalaki Ekadashi Vrat
According to Padma Purana, you attain salvation as equal to visiting pilgrimages or conducting yagna by fasting on Amalaki Ekadashi. Some reasons people not do fast on this day but they can offer Amla to Lord Vishnu and eat those. According to the scriptures, consuming Amla is thinking to be very advantageous on Amalaki Ekadashi.
In pristine times, a king called Chitrasen used to rule a kingdom. In his rule, Amalaki Ekadashi Vrat was considered an important event with occupant carrying out the fast.
Once, the king went deep for hunting in the wilds. Suddenly, some bandits surrounded him, and attacked him. But with the blessings of God, every harm weapon hurled towards him got changed into flowers.
Due to high numbers of bandits, king lost control and fell down insensible on the ground. Suddenly, a heavenly power rose from the king’s body, killed all the bandits’ men and became invisible. After regaining consciousness, the king found all the bandits dead and became very shocked. Suddenly there came a divine declaration.
O King, all of these evils are dead just because of you fasting on Amalaki Ekadashi. A Vaishnavi power rose from your body and deadly them. After kill them, it went back inside in your body.
The king became very joyful and thankful and told everyone in his kingdom about the importance of Amalaki Ekadashi.